Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Becoming Crunchy

Staying in Austin has been great. We would live here if only there was ANY oil and gas industry to speak of. But, since there isn't, we will probably have to live in Houston indefinitely. Ack.

Austin must be rubbing off on me. I have suspected that there was a hippy, crunchy baby momma in me trying to get out, and staying in Austin has just facilitated the inevitable. For example...

...I breastfeed in public. Granted, I use a blanket, but that's still a big deal for me. Truth be told, I really only use the blanket so that others are not uncomfortable, not for me. I really could care less. Once Ava is latched on, it's not like you can really see anything anyway. I wonder if that's a bad thing, that my boobs have become totally nonsexual for me? I know that for some people breastfeeding in public isn't a big deal, but for me, it is. This week I've breastfed at the Alamo Drafthouse, in my car countless times, and at a restaurant. I have to say, I'm proud of myself. I've found that my attitude is "This is my right, so just try to stop me." I never thought I'd really even have an opinion about breastfeeding in public, much less actually do it.

...I desperately want to wear Ava. Sadly, I'm just not sure if it's going to be possible. Before she was born, I bought a Peanut Shell and a Baby Bjorn. Every time I put her in the Peanut Shell, she screams her head off. She's quite dramatic about the whole thing. Same thing with the Bjorn. Okay, so already, that's $140 down the drain. Ugh. So, we headed down to Austin Baby this weekend to look for a Moby Wrap. I've heard raves about it, so I thought that before I buy it, we'd try it out first. No need to make the same mistake a THIRD time. We popped her in it in the store, and she loved it. Thought it was great. So I pull out my wallet and plunk down the $40. We get home and try it. She cries. So I tried another hold yesterday. She loved it and fell asleep in it within 60 seconds. Oh, this is great, I thought. Finally, we've found something that she likes, so I can wear her and still get things done around the house. So, this morning, I put her in it again. She cried. Sigh...Shit. There's an Austin Babywearing Society that would probably be really helpful, except that we don't live in Austin, MUCH TO MY DISDAIN. Can you tell that I really want to move to Austin?

...I am considering cloth diapers. I had no idea the progress that has been made with cloth diapers. At Austin Baby, they had BumGenius, FuzziBunz, all those. They are adorable and look so comfy. I have to admit though, that my motivation really has nothing to do with not contributing 70 disposable diapers a week to landfills. That's a nice benefit and all, but my main motivation is money. Think of all the money we would save! I'll have to really consider this though. My daughter has truly explosive diapers. I know all parents say that, but seriously - when there is more poop on the onesie than in the diaper, you start to wonder. Combine that with a husband that gags and wretches over poop diapers, and it's not pretty. We are going to have to get M a barf can to put by the changing table. Once she starts on solid food, it's all over. There will be guaranteed vomit. Everyone has something that makes them sick. For M, that Thing is Poop.

...I would buy a co-sleeper if they weren't $80. I am not keen on having her in the actual bed with us, it makes me too nervous, but I would love to have one of those co-sleepers that attaches to the side of our bed. We have a travel crib that we use instead. I'm glad we bought a travel crib instead of a bassinet. We get far more use out of the travel crib, plus, she can stay in it so much longer. I am in no hurry to move her out of our room, and I will probably need to be sedated when we finally do it. If I have my way, that won't be for quite a while. I don't think M is in that same camp, however. I'll have to work on that.

As relatively granola as I think I'm becoming, I do draw the line somewhere. I'm only planning on breastfeeding until Ava is a year old, max. When she's old enough to walk up to me and ask for the boob, then it's time to consider the benefits of homemade baby food.

2 comments:

Theresa Kiene said...

When Ava is old enough...have her try HOMEMADE BABY® Fresh All-Organic Baby Food. In 10 yummy fruit and veggie varieties. Started by a mom who wanted to feed her children the freshest all organic baby foods.

In The refrigerated dairy at Whole Foods and other retailers. www.homemadebaby.com

Triad #1 said...

Walk toward the light, sister. Come on. You know you want to. Just think how jealous Triad #2 would be, and how much Political Crap we could give her.